As a non-profit organization, the Shire of An Dun Theine is available for demonstrations at schools, scout troops, festivals, or anywhere that there is room to set up safely to demonstrate the arts and martial skills practiced. We look forward to working with you to make your event a success! On this website,you will find information on how the demo request process works, as well as information regarding both the SCA and the Shire of An Dun Theine.
The Society for Creative Anachronism is an all-volunteer organization. We all share a passion for the Middle Ages and Renaissance, but all of us have responsibilities outside the Society in our regular lives. Some of us work for a living, some of us have families to care for, and some of us are students but we all have mundane responsibilities. Unlike a commercial venture or organization, we do not have a paid staff. The people who work our demos are volunteers and may be unable to donate their time for the date or time you have chosen.
Some things to keep in mind when requesting a date or time for a demo:
- We require at least a 1 month notice prior to your requested date.
- The Shire of An Dun Theine will not confirm a demo if we can not arrange sufficient volunteer staffing.
- We reserve the right to cancel all demonstrations.
- A minimum of 2-3 fighters must be available in order to have a fighting demo.
- Evening demos are the easiest to confirm.
- Daytime demos, while not impossible, are extremely difficult to confirm since most of our members work during the day.
- Weekends are often filled with SCA Events and Tournaments, especially during the summer "camping" and "war" season. At certain times of the year it may be very difficult to schedule a weekend demo.
- SCA Events and Tournaments further complicate scheduling. Many of our fighters may not want to risk an injury that would keep them from competing in a tournament.
In order to ensure the safety of combatants and spectators, as well as produce a quality exhibition of medieval warfare we have the following stipulations:
- A designated space for fighting (called a 'list') is required. The list area may need to be roped off to ensure that spectators are unable to enter the fighting area. If needed, we can rope off the area.
- The list area should measure at least 30 feet by 30 feet whenever possible. It may be feasible to do a fighter and rapier exhibition in a smaller space but the combatants will not be able to demonstrate many techniques due to safety precautions.
- We will not honor any request where the designated list area is less than 20 feet by 20 feet. Safety regulations deem that anything less than 20' x 20' is hazardous to both combatants and spectators.
- The Shire of An Dun Theine reserves the right to cancel the demo at any time if the list area fails to meet the above noted minimum list area requirements. This right includes the day of the demo once we are on-site.
Please make sure your message includes the following information, as well as anything you feel might be important.
- Date and Time of Proposed Demo
- Location of Proposed Demo and if it is indoors or outdoors (or both)
- Reason for Demo (classroom learning, just curious, etc)
- Number of people expected and age range
- Special requirements (talk about specific historical time period or topic, teach a dance or song, etc)
- Any site restrictions (no edged weapons, candles, foods, etc)
Once form is submitted, we will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Thank you for your interest in the SCA and our Shire.